During my weight loss journey and in my continued quest to maintain an optimal weight, I had to employ a few strategies. Here are the ones that I found most helpful :
1. PLAN YOUR MEALS – After it is determined how many calories you should be consuming on a daily basis, plan your meals and snacks ahead of time. Planning ahead will help you not to binge or to eat on impulse.
2. BE A SMART SNACKER– Don’t undo all of the great work you’ve put in with your exercise and better nutrition choices by heading to the vending machine when you feel a hunger pang. Instead, be prepared with healthy snacks such as fruit or some other low calorie snack choice.
3. FIND LOW CALORIE ALTERNATIVES FOR YOUR FAVORITE FOODS – Have a craving for certain foods? Don’t repress it completely, but find a moderate, lower-fat option. Bake French fries instead of frying them, or eat cereal with skim milk over whole milk. By including foods you enjoy, you will be more likely to stick with your nutrition plan.
4. BE A SMART GROCERY SHOPPER – Stay away from the aisles that contain the high calorie, high fat and high sugar items. It’s better to avoid the temptation. Make informed choices when selecting foods – learn how to properly read nutrition labels.
5. EXERCISE – Optimize the strides you are making by eating healthier, by implementing an exercise routine! Even a 10-minute walk around the block or taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator can help. Starting even a simple program of cardio and strength training can produce enormous weight loss benefits, and make you healthier to boot.
6. OPT FOR WATER INSTEAD OF HIGH CALORIE/SUGARY DRINKS – Water will does not make you lose weight. However, if we swap a high sugar/high calorie beverage, like soda, fruit juice or alcohol, for a glass of water, we can save several hundred calories per day.
Losing weight can seem like a very daunting task. For those of us who have to lose more than a few pounds, it can seem nearly impossible! So much so that we often stop our mission to lose weight before we even get started. It seems like there’s a million get-thin-quick schemes out there, but so often they just lead to empty promises and weight problems that never go away. Put crash diets and dubious “detox” programs behind you for good, and finally meet your weight loss goals with a personalized program designed especially for you! Aren’t you ready to finally let go of those unwanted pounds, to say goodbye to high blood pressure and diabetes medications, to feel energetic again? I can teach you how to employ healthy eating habits, change behaviors that lead to weight gain, and give you all the resources and support you need along the way. Once and for all, you will experience the type of change on your road to fitness that can be maintained for a lifetime. I know this not just because I am a certified nutrition specialist, but because I’ve done it myself!
If you or someone you love is interested in getting healthy and fit, please contact me. A list of services and upcoming events can be found at http://www.veggierap.com. I can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Follow me on Twitter @veggierap! Like me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NutritionForDummies